In 2020, a complete revision of the Tribunal’s practice notes was carried out. The redrafting was driven by the desire to make them clearer and more concise and to effectively resolve issues facing the parties during a request for review. This is part of the Tribunal’s ongoing desire to communicate more clearly and effectively with all parties involved before the Tribunal.
To that end, some practice notes were eliminated and new ones were created. The Tribunal developed a mechanism for dealing with constitutional issues and to involve expert witnesses. In addition, the Tribunal has ensured that the use of electronic communications is encouraged in all its practice notes. Additionally, implementing plain language practice notes aim to facilitate matters for self-represented parties, who account for most of the applicants before the Tribunal.
That said, practices notes are a tool that is provided to parties, but do not override the obligation to first respect the requirements of the Agriculture and Agri-Food Administrative Monetary Penalties Act and the Rules of the Review Tribunal (Canada Agricultural Review Tribunal). These legislative and regulatory requirements prevail in case of inconsistency with the Practice Notes.
For all requests for information about the process for requests for review with the Tribunal, do not hesitate to contact us.
- Practice Note #1 – Electronic Registry
- Practice Note #2 – Admissibility of Requests for Review
- Practice Note #3 – Requests to Extend Time Limits
- Practice Note #4 – Virtual and In-Person Oral Hearings
- Practice Note #5 – Interpretation Service
- Practice Note #6 – Mandatory Case Management Conference
- Practice Note #7 – Obligations, Duties and Roles of Authorized Representatives
- Practice Note #8 – Open Court Principle and the Respect for Privacy
- Practice Note #9 – Raising a Constitutional Question
- Practice Note #10 – Order for Exclusion of Witnesses
- Practice Note #11 – Witnesses and the Procedure for Obtaining a Subpeona
- Practice Note #12 – Expert witnesses
- Practice Note #13 – Presenting new evidence for a review of a Minister’s decision
- Practice Note #14 – Affidavit Evidence
- Practice Note #15 – Request for Adjournment or Postponement of a Hearing
- Practice Note #16 – Withdrawal of a request for review